Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Helmet





At Owen's 4 month doctor appointment, the pediatrician suggested that Owen might need a helmet to correct a gigantic flat spot on the back of his head. Myers and I noticed the flat spot a long time ago but were hoping it would correct itself. (yes, we were delusional enough to think that Owen's skull would magically mold into a normal shape all by itself). I have to admit I was a little upset at the prospect of getting a helmet for our baby. The more I thought about it though, I realized that if I were a teenage boy with a misshapen head and my parents could have fixed it and chose not to, I would be really mad.

Cranial Technologies is THE PLACE for this kind of thing. They have several locations around the country and apparently people drive hours and hours to get their helmet (DOC band) at Cranial Tech. I feel very blessed that there is a Dallas location. We went for a consultation where they take mugshot-like photos from all different angles of Owen's head. It was very difficult to have someone point out all of the problems with your baby's head/face/skull. Anyway, after a cool digital imaging appointment Owen is now in his helmet. Since he is so young they are hoping he will only be in it for about 6 (maybe 8) weeks.


2 comments:

The Womacks said...

He's adorable! The helmet is much more in style than what I was picturing.

Laura said...

More than one week is already gone! He's such a cute baby! I think that second picture of him looking so serious is one of my all-time favs.