Saturday, September 25, 2010

Consignment Shopping

Divine Consign is a gigantic sale of baby stuff that is held twice a year in Dallas. They offer a pre sale for 100 first time moms. About 6 weeks ago I came across the Divine Consign website and emailed them my information to see if I could get in on the pre sale. Turns out I contacted them early enough that I made the cut. The pre sale would allow me and a guest to go peruse the items before the sale was open to the public. I was picturing myself calmly walking around the convention center doing some methodical and intelligent comparison shopping since I was important enough to shop before the rest of the riff raff general public. I mentioned the pre sale to two of my friends and was concerned when BOTH of them said, "oh good, usually there are still some good items left at the pre sale, make sure you get there early and be ready to run". Hmmmmm.....

My mental picture of myself calmly browsing was now replaced with an image of crazy pregnant ladies elbowing and throat punching each other over the last Tickle Me Elmo. And women with babies strapped to their backs sprinting down the aisles of clothes grabbing any item they could reach. To make matters worse, I had invited my mom to be my "plus 1" but she backed out a few days before because my grandmother was coming for a visit. So now I was doomed to face the crazy mothers alone. I had made up my mind not to go at all. My original excitement had faded and I was now not wanting to wait in line and fight over used stuff that I didn't necessarily need in the first place.

The night before the sale Myers and I agreed that this really was a good opportunity to get some stuff for Owen at a great price and dear sweet Meredith offered to go with me. The game plan was that Meredith would head to the clothes section and look for fall clothes (since Owen has exactly zero clothes for cooler weather) and I would head to the toy section to look for a few items that I had in mind.

We accidently got to the convention center about 40 minutes early. It turned out to be a good thing because we beat the rush and were about 30th in line out of 200. Once the doors opened, promptly at 7:00, we walked briskly to our pre planned designated areas. I immediately found what I was looking for and picked up a couple of toys. The prices were lower than I was expecting and the items looked brand new. We definitely got caught up in the excitement of the event and left with the following:

1 activity piano
1 musical pusher thing
1 sit and ride thing
1 set of stackable rings
1 put-stuff-in-the-top-and-it-shoots-out-the-bottom-thing
1 musical hit with a hammer ABC thing
1 train
1 truck

5 pants
4 jeans (not sure why we got so many jeans, it seemed like a good idea in the heat of the moment)
7 shirts
5 jackets
1 Adidas track suit in mint condition

 

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I am proud of us. And I had a great time! Definitely something everyone should experience once. Michael is jealous of the Adidas track suit in mint condition.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

that adidas track suit in mint condition does look pretty swank. I've never heard of this--wonder if my sister is aware. Where do the items come from?

Erin said...

Karen, so glad you made it!!! I hope you can now share in my obsession, sometimes I scare new moms when I talk about this sale! You got some great deals. Since next time you will not be a new mom it is worth consigning a few items to go early. It was great seeing you and Owen while we were home. Miss you guys!

Laura said...

I looks like Owen is all set! He definitely NEEDS 4 jeans. Looks like you found some pretty fun toys too!