Saturday, September 11, 2010

Labor Day Road Trip

At approximately 9:00 p.m. last Friday night, Mike, Meredith and 3 Levers jumped in the car and headed south for a weekend with Tony and Moe in New Braunfels. Although I was excited for our first vacation in a long, long time, I was very nervous about traveling with Owen. We originally planned to leave first thing Saturday morning but at the last minute I got it into my head that Owen would do much better in the car if we left at night, rather than in the morning. Turns out I was right. Owen didn't make a peep for the entire 4.5 hour trip and was even awake most of the time just staring at us in the backseat.

Our car ride started off with Meredith and I discussing work. After 3 minutes on this topic Mike loudly exclaimed, "BORING!!!" Which we took as a subtle hint to switch to a different conversation. We spent the rest of the ride playing "would you rather" with the most memorable being: would you rather have both male and female parts or no parts at all like a Ken doll? That became a reoccurring conversation for the rest of the weekend.

Saturday was a great day in New Braunfels. We started out the morning by walking around the Farmers Market and downtown NB. Tony was a great tour guide. He pointed out the world's first bakery, the world's biggest tree, the world's first German person etc. For lunch we headed to the Gruene Flour Cupcakery to visit Moe at work. We figured since we were already there we might as well try 1 (or 37) cupcakes. Yum. I do not care to admit how many cupcakes I consumed over the course of the weekend.

Saturday night and Sunday night I laughed more than I have in a very long time. At one point I almost stopped breathing because I was laughing so hard at a mental picture of a woman with no lower body. Ok, I realize that sounds morbid and disturbing but at the time it was very funny.

Overall, we gave Owen a 37 out of 42 for his weekend behavior. For the most part he was great!! He was a good sleeper and loved rolling around town in his stroller. We deducted points from his overall score because on Saturday he was a little "stopped up" (I will spare you the details) which made him a bit cranky. Then on Sunday and Monday he made up for lost time in the pooping department. We had to stop twice on the way home.

Turns out all of my anxiety about traveling with a 9 month old was unnecessary. We have such amazing friends that were willing to ride in the car and spend an entire weekend with a baby. Mike and Meredith and Tony and Moe all pitched in way more than they had to and helped take care of Owen which meant a lot to Myers and me.

Can't wait for our next road adventure!






Baby butt crack...



2 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

My favorite is definitely the baby butt crack.

Laura said...

I'm so glad your trip went so well! New Braunfels is such a fun place to visit...especially with cupcakes! Did the screech laugh happen? I haven't heard it in a while and I miss it. (vanishing cabinet??)