Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Ones" Upon a Time

 


Before today, I did not have a valid library card. For as much as I read I don't have a good explanation for not having one. I have been meaning to go get a card for some time now but just haven't gotten around to it. Over Thanksgiving we will be taking a long-ish car ride and Myers and I decided it might be fun to get a book on CD for the trip. I like to talk in the car on long trips and Myers does not. He once said to me (after 7 hours of driving, which is about the midway point on the trip from Clemson to Dallas)"Karen, driving is for driving, not for talking." We figure that a book on CD is a good compromise between constant conversation and complete silence.

Anyway, I had vowed to go to the library this week to get a card and choose a book to listen to on the drive. On Monday we had a Preschool Playtime with some kids from church. One of the moms mentioned that she had just been to a story time at the library. I thought that sounded pretty fun so I went to the website this morning to check the schedule. Turns out they have a "Ones Upon a Time" story time for 1 year olds. According to the website, the class has a limit and you are encouraged to arrive early to get your ticket. Since Owen is only a month shy of 1 year I figured it would be no big deal if we attended even though he is not technically old enough.

When we got to the library there were tons of little kids waddling around. They have a pretty large section for kids that has toys and books (obviously) and little tiny tables. Owen was really interested in looking at everything and everyone. I was immediately aware that he was the only non-walker in the room and was sure that they were going to eject us before the story time even started. He crawled around and stared at a few different kids and eventually settled in front of a big wooden puzzle thing.

The class (I guess you call it a class) basically consisted of singing 10 or so songs with hand motions and then listening to the lady read a gigantic book. It was exactly like what I have seen in movies and on tv. A bunch of moms waving their kid's arms around in the air and singing nursery rhymes while making various animal noises. There were puppets too. As dumb as that sounds, it was actually pretty fun. I didn't feel like an idiot singing hickory-dickory-dock because everyone else in the room was doing it too, plus Owen was smiling and laughing the entire time.

If you live in or around Coppell and have a 1 year old (or almost 1 year old) I highly recommend Ones Upon a Time at the Coppell Library....as long as you don't tell anyone that Owen is too young.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like so much fun, and I am glad you felt at home doing things that 11 months ago would have made you feel ridiculous! It's funny all the ways having kids changes you! It's always fun to find things outside of the house to do with babies!